Azhar, Rizvan, Abid Ali and Shan Masood have been promoted toin their contracts for the coming season.
Mohammad Amir and Wahab RiazMohammad Amir and Wahab RiazMohammad Amir and Wahab Riaz (Photo by Gareth Copley-ICC/ICC on Getty Images)
The Pakistan Cricket Council (PCC) announced Wednesday a list of players working on the central contract for the 2020-21 season. All attention went to former captain Sarfaraz Ahmed, who was classified in category A last year and is now relegated to category B. On the other hand, young speed diver Shahin Afridi and test captain Azhar Ali have been promoted to the highest category, together with ODI and T20I captain Babar Azam.
The SCC also took some difficult decisions and removed Mohammad Amir and Wahab Riaz from the list of contracts. Both players came out of the test stand last season, which caused a sensation in the country. However, they played in two other forms of play. The other players who won’t get a contract for the coming season are Hassan Ali and Fahar Zaman.
Imam-ul-Haq and Yassir Shah were also relegated to a category. In addition to Shahin Afridi and Azhar Ali, Abid Ali, Mohammad Rizvan and Shan Masoud were also promoted. Iftikhar Ahmed is the only new person on the contract list for 18 players, while Haider Ali, Mohammad Hasnain and Haris Rauf are in the new players category.
Amir and Wahab remain divided, said Misbah ul Haq.
The head coach of Pakistan, Misbah ul Haq, explained that the selection of players on the contract list is based solely on merit and takes into account the performance of the past 12 months. He also said that Hassan Ali hadn’t played most of last season because of an injury and was therefore withdrawn, while older players Wahab Riaz and Amir were withdrawn with an axe when they left Test Cricket.
However, he made it clear that they are still fighting for the country. The philosophy and criteria for this central list of merit-based contracts were simple and clear: The selection committees assessed the performance of the players over the past 12 months and then considered the next 12 months based on the needs of our team.
The decision to take Amir, Hassan and Wahab was a difficult one for the voters, but given that Hassan missed most of the season due to an injury and Amir and Wahab decided to focus on white ball cricket, it was the right decision.
Amir and Wahab, however, are older and more experienced cricketers and they are still divided because we believe they can still contribute to the Pakistani men’s cricket team and take care of our young speed bowlers, he said in a KSP press release.
Central list of contracts for men PCB 2020-21 :
- Azhar Ali (Central Punjab)
- Babar Azam (Central Kings of Punjab/Karachi)
- Shaheen Shah Afridi (northern Lahore Kalandar).
- Abid Ali (Sindh/Lahore Kalandar)
- Asad Shafiq (Sind/Multan Sultans)
- Charis Sohail (Baluchistan)
- Mohammad Abbas (South Punjab)
- Mohammad Rizwan (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa/ Karachi Kings)
- Sarfaraz Ahmed (gladiators of Sindh/Quetta)
- Shadab Khan (Northern Union of Islamabad)
- Shan Masood (Sultans/Multans of South Punjab)
- Yasser Shah (Balochistan/Peshawar Zalmi).
- Fahar Zaman (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa/Lahor Kalandar)
- Iftikhar Ahmed (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa/ Karachi Kings)
- Imad Vasim (Kings of the North/Karachi)
- Imam-ul-Haq (Balochistan/Peshawar Hall)
- Nasim Shah (gladiators of Central Punjab/Kuetta)
- Usman Shinwari (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa/Lahore Kalandar)
Category novice players
- Haider Ali (North/Pesha Warmer Room)
- Haris Rauf (North Lahore Kalandar)
- Mohammad Hasnain (Sind/Quetta gladiators)